Friday, August 2, 2013

August 1 - And We're Off!



Welcome to Christmas in August 2013! 

The goal of Christmas is August is to have all of my Christmas shopping and crafting COMPLETED by August 31. Last year was my first attempt, and you can read all about it in earlier posts. This year, I hope to do even better since I've learned lessons from the pitfalls encountered in 2012, such as:

Done is better than perfect.

Start big handmade items EARLY in the month.

Wrap as you go.

Keep a written record of where you put everything!

On Day 1, which was yesterday, August 1, here's what I accomplished.

1. I decided where I'm going to stash wrapped gifts. Last year, I kept everything in my dining room until August 31, then hid things under beds, in closets, and in cupboards. My kids are grown, so I don't really have to worry about sneaky little ones looking into closed bags or boxes. Besides, the people in my family genuinely like to be surprised on Christmas morning. This year, things are going to the big brick hearth in our basement.


2. I bought every gift bag in the store at ULTA. They were marked down from $5.00 to 49 cents! They're vinyl, and they're Christmassy-looking.






3. I instructed my grown boys to give me their Christmas wish lists. Last year, my older son was living in Chicago at this time working for AmeriCorps. He dragged his feet FOREVER and didn't give me a list until the end of the month. This year, he texted his list, which consisted of two things, to me immediately. He's learning!

4. I bought a gift for someone! 

So, there you have it. Christmas in August 2013 is underway. Would you like to join me? 


2 comments:

  1. I love to read the details of how you do it, but to join you, I'd have to work around my huge reunion trip in early-mid-August (lame excuse). Besides, knee replacement is going to let me opt out of even more than usual Christmas work, I'm thinking. I'll be cheering you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mum, even though I'll be wrapping as I go, you will have some wrapping to do when you get here. Never fear!

      Delete