Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 17: Assembly Line and Afghanistan


First things first. I promised yesterday that I would provide evidence of my having worked for an hour on my handmade Christmas project last night. I can't reveal the work in progress, but I will tell you that it is housed in this adorable pink and green bag which will ultimately serve as the wrapping for the gift when it is complete. I worked for an hour on the big deal last night as well as two hours this morning. Sounds impressive, but I am sensing that I will have to spend even more time on it each day if I am to finish by August 31.

Assembly Line

All of the elements of my piano student gifts have been delivered now, so I have started to put them together. I need to do 45 of these, and there are 12 done as of this evening. 


It's a good thing I started assembling these early, because it made me realize that I don't have nearly enough musical ribbon. I'm kinda glad I didn't make this discovery the day before our Christmas recital! No need to panic; I can buy more tomorrow. But speaking of ribbon, look at the pretty spools of it I found today:



Afghanistan

FYI, I think these are British soldiers, but I like the picture.


I learned of a terrific idea today on Facebook. A friend posted a message indicating that she had knowledge of five young men serving in the U.S. Military in Afghanistan who rarely receive care packages from home. I'm sure there are many more than five for whom this is the case, but this information was provided by the son of my friend's friend who is serving there. He feels sorry for a few of his buddies who don't receive things from family back home as he does. The Facebook post provided a list of suggested items to include in the care package:


I couldn't take a bigger screen shot than this, but the next sentence indicated that things like whoopee cushions are big hits. This really got to me. I have two boys who are of the same age as many of these young men, and I can just see them enjoying a box of silly as well as useful stuff. So THIS is my next project! I'm going to put a care package together for one of the young men and get his box out ASAP! Not waiting until Christmas for this one.

One final thought: I can see my dining room table now! Things were getting very crazy, but I found storage places for the gifts that are already wrapped, got rid of the bubble wrap and cardboard boxes that I was saving for gift shipments (changed my mind! can't stand the clutter!), dusted, and ran the vacuum. Whew! I feel better now. Apparently, the cat does, too.



TALLY
13 Friends and Family: CHECK!
10 Neighbors: CHECK!
45 Piano Students: CHECK! (12 of 45 gifts assembled)
5 Charitable Gifts: CHECK!
Stockings: GOOD!
Handmade Project: 3 hours spent since yesterday
Care Package for Soldier in Afghanistan: MY NEXT PROJECT!





No comments:

Post a Comment