Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 9: What about the neighbors?


We good people here in the neighborhood tend to give each other a little something the week before Christmas. Nothing lavish or over-the-top, but a little something to let each other know that we enjoy living in close proximity to one another. In the past I have given baked goods, coffee, and stuff from Starbucks. This year, I'm going with humor, so y'all who are within a stone's throw of us...get ready.

As a rule, I think neighbor gifts should be cheap. I mean inexpensive. And I certainly don't expect the people who live near me to give me stuff. I admit, though, that I get a nice warm and fuzzy feeling when I set a little something by a neighbor's front door during the winter holidays. Gee, I even feel a happy sense of community when I dole out candy to trick-or-treaters, despite the sobering fact that (I hope you're seated) Halloween is one of the holidays I'd like to destroy for all time. Don't get me started. I guess I like feeling as though I'm a part of a neighborly sort of family, and even though we don't often get to spend time with the people in this "family," we do want them to know that we appreciate them and are glad to have them near us. Pass the Kleenex.

TALLY:
11 Family & Friends: DONE!
10 Neighbors: DONE!
4 Charitable Gifts: DONE!
Stockings: Not empty!

No comments:

Post a Comment